Dafo Temple is another of the four renowned Buddhist temples in Guangzhou. It was originally built during the Southern Han Dynasty, (917-971). It flourished during the Qing Dynasty (1645-1779) when King Shunzi and King Qianlong ruled. It is one of the most famous Buddhist temples in south China.
Daxiong Hall is located in the north of the temple and its gate faces south. The hall has an area of 1,200 square meters. Although it has a history of over 300 years, its scenery has remained the same.
Guangzhou Government opened Dafo Temple to the public after the Cultural Revolution. Guangming, the senior monk and vice chairman of Guangzhou Buddhist Association, was appointed master monk of Dafo Temple in 1981. He rebuilt the temple and managed to renew the inside and outside of Daxiong Hall. The 3 main large copper Buddhist statues were produced as well. More domestic and international visitors frequented the temple from then on. On August 9th 1993, Dafo Temple was proclaimed as a national cultural heritage.
In September 2000, Dafo Temple founded the first Buddhist public library in Guangdong province. The library is 664 square meters with more than 40,000 books and 8,000 volumes. The library has air conditioning and computers. It is a professional Buddhist library and occasionally Buddhist courses are offered for young people, or discussion classes and Zen courses.
Add: No. 21 Huixin Zhong Street Huifu Dong Road in Yuexiu District (near Guangmin square)
Metro: Gongyuan Qian Entrance D.
(By Luna and Alan Devey)
¡¾sightseeing special¡¿Five Renowned Buddhist Temples in Guangzhou