Local Culture

Watchtower cluster


Red-headed Boat
Re: Foreigner and chinese's Marriage
Latest Updated by2004-06-06 12:19:56

Q: I am a British Chinese. I've got to know a Cantonese lady and now want to marry her. Can we register the marriage in Guangdong? If so, how can we do this?

A: Yes, you can. This information below is provided by the Guangzhou Municipal Foreigners Marriage Registration Office of the Civil Affairs Bureau. It applies to the following citizens:

Foreigners (including foreigners with residence visa, or for a temporary visit, overseas Chinese with foreign citizenship).

Resident Aliens ( ie foreigners with permanent residency status in China).

How to apply

Both male and female applicants must comply with the Chinese Marriage Law and relevant regulations. They should submit their application form, together with 3 photos taken together along with the following documents and make a "Declaration of Marriage Registration Application".

Local citizens must submit

Identity card
Document of household registration
A Self Declaration of No Impediment to the Marriage

Foreigners must submit

Passport or other document of personal identity or nationality.
Marital Status Certificate issued by a Public Notary Office and affirmed by the
Chinese Embassy (Consulates) in UK or the British Consulate General in Guangzhou,  
or a Certificate of No Impediment issued by the British Consulate Guangzhou. Either
document is valid for three months from date of issue.

Editor: Dawn                                                                                                      By: Source:GOCN 

Relative News